Art Hits the Wall 2008
Mary E. Black Gallery
October 24 to December 21 2008
Art Hits The Wall is a juried exhibition of unique quilted and hooked wall art created by residents of Atlantic Canada (New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island and Newfoundland). Art Hits the Wall 2008 theme: “All Nature Sings”
“All Nature Sings” ...... We all have experienced those special moments when nature “sang” to us. Let your memories of those treasured times or, whatever nature provides to take your breath away, be your inspiration and guide!
The Nova Scotia Centre for Craft and Design (NSCCD) is working with the Art Hits the Wall (AHW) committee. This is a juried show only - adherence to the criteria will be the limiting factors. The show will not be judged (i.e. no ribbons will be awarded).
There is no entry fee.
Entrants are not required to be members of any quilting or rug hooking group but should have an interest in the development and growth of their art form. Technique is important but will not be the defining quality. The work will be evaluated on its adherance to the prescribed criteria and its interpretive perspective.
The exhibition will be held at:
Mary E. Black Gallery
1061 Marginal Road
Halifax, NS. B3H 4P6
(next to Pier 21)
Official opening Thursday, October 23, 2008
- All entrants must have a year-round Atlantic Canadian residence.
- Work submitted must have been created specifically for this show and this must be the first public showing of the work.
- Only fully completed work will be accepted.
- Maximum perimeter measurement 120” (incl.frame)
- Work may be framed or bound and with a hidden sleeve attached across the back of the work if the artist considers it necessary.
Mary E. Black Gallery will supply “carpet tack” rods for hooked pieces and smooth rods for quilted work.
- Work can be signed. Also, securely fasten a label on the back of the work which includes the artist’s name, address and phone number and title of the work.
Work will not be advertised as being for sale. If you notify the gallery that you wish to sell your work they will keep the information on file and request that prospective buyers to contact you directly.
An artist may submit one piece of work per medium (i.e. one hooked piece and one quilted) but they must be entered on separate forms.
An artist’s statement can be included with entry.
If possible please send a digital image or photograph of the work with your entry form. (An image/photo of the incomplete piece will be acceptable.)
Gallery director: Susan MacAlpine Foshay
Phone # 1-902-492-2522
Art Hits the Wall 2008 info and entry form (PDF)
Download the Floor Plan (PDF)