Friday, April 14, 2006

Postcard Exhibition: Artisan Center of Virginia

Forwarded from a member of the Quiltart Mailing List:

From: Mary Beth Bellah
Date: Apr 6, 2006 4:29 PM
Subject: [Quiltart] repost: postcard exhibition in VA
To: quiltart@quilt.net


Hi folks,

I thought I'd repost this call for submissions in case you missed it or are just tuning in. The only additional bit of info that I'd like to be sure to add is that all the postcards should be mailed to me under-cover, that is, in a packet/envelop so that collectors/buyers of the cards can decide to use them for their own correspondence purposes or save for display. BTW I've already gotten many submissions and the work is very good!
take care, mb

Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 12:52:48 -0500
Subject: postcard exhibition

As part of my getting-the-word-out-about-the-media effort I'd like
to encourage you all to consider submitting work for a postcard exhibition that I'm curating for the Artisan Center of Virginia (in Waynesboro VA) http://www.artisanscenterofvirginia.org/. The exhibition will hang for the month of June 06 with an opening reception scheduled for Sat June 3. The gallery director chose the show title Postcards on the Edge (fiber art and mixed media) From my perspective one of the nicest things about this
exhibition is that it will also sell the postcards over the course of the
exhibit with the artists receiving 60% of the sale price.

My plan for display is to drop down strands of monofilament with intermittent clasps (preferable alligator clips but I'm still search for a bulk source for these) from the ceiling to a foot or two above the floor. The gallery space will be ringed with these long, free hanging strands of postcards (can't you just imagine them, gentle swirling from air currents?). When someone buys a card, a new one will be clipped in its place. To maintain some sanity in pricing for the ACV folks, ALL post cards will be priced at $30 (so don't send a card that you don't think getting $18 in compensation for is worth your time/skill/materials....likewise please don't send a card that you don't think is "worth" $30....) Size restrictions are linked to US postal rules for 1st class mail so the postcards need to be:

3.5" minimum height x 5" minimum length
with maximum sizes not to exceed 6" height x 11.5" in length.
Thickness not to exceed 1/4"
(of course you can use any measurements between these min/max limits)

All postcards need to be received by May 1, 2006 in order to get a full inventory list in place before the gallery installs the exhibition. There is NO submission fee involved and your only expense will be the postage to send the work and a return SASE with sufficient postage to return all cards in the event that yours don't sell. The gallery will send artist payments by the 15th of the following month (July). If you will email me (mb4q@virginia.edu) to let me know you've put them into the mail, when I receive them I will send you an email confirming arrival. By including your mailing address in that email, I'll add you to the mailing list for the exhibition announcement/postcard.
Your postcards should be sent to:
1855 Arrowhead Valley Rd. Charlottesville, VA 22903

Feel free to pass this information on to anyone you think may be interested
in sending work. Hopefully I included all the important information but if
you have any questions feel free to email me ( mb4q@virginia.edu). I'll post this info a few more times between now and May 1 but I wanted to give you
all plenty of time to work on as many cards as you'd like to send! :)