The Vermont Studio Center
VSC Residents represent a mix of mediums, cultures, experience, and ages, for a diverse and vibrant community.
The Vermont Studio Center hosts 50 artists and writers who participate each month in 4 to 12 week independent studio Residencies.
Residencies for 50 artists and writers per month (24 painters/ mixed-media, 12 sculptors/mixed-media, 2 printmakers, 2 photographers, and 12 writers); Private studio space appropriate to the medium (open 24 hours a day); Simple, private rooms and excellent food; Opportunity for focused, independent work; A large and diverse creative community Opportunities to share work: open studio evenings, slide presentations, and readings.
VSC accepts 40 visual artists each month in painting, sculpture, new and mixed-media, drawing, printmaking, and photography.
Each VSC Resident Artist receives:
- A private studio in one of five studio buildings
- The presence of four Visiting Artists per month, each of whom gives a slide lecture and offers optional individual studio visit
- Access to model for life drawing
- Access to Sculpture Shop, Print Shop, or Darkrooms (as appropriate)
- Slide Presentations \ Open Studios
- Four evenings each month are scheduled to provide Resident Artists the chance to share their work (in slide or digital format) if they wish to do so.
- Open Studio evenings are scheduled twice each month as an additional opportunity to share work.
Studios & Facilities
For a detailed description of studios and shops, visit Studios and Facilities section.
How To Apply:
1. Print a copy of the residency application form.
2. Fill out the form and mail it to us with the following:
Manuscript or Portfolio
See the guidelines below
On a separate page, please provide names, addresses, phone numbers, and e-mail addresses of three people who are familiar with your work and your capacity for living in an artists' community and would be willing to supply a reference if asked.
If you would like to be considered for assistance based on financial need as well as merit, include financial documentation (a copy of the first page of your most recent income tax return, a recent W-2, a statement of need, etc.). Those applicants interested strictly in our merit-based awards need not supply this information.
$25 Application Fee
For some Special Fellowship Awards, the application fee is waived.
Applications may be submitted at any time.
Applicants who wish to be considered for a Full Fellowship must submit their applications by the Full Fellowship Application Deadlines (2/15, 6/15, 10/1); applications must be received, not postmarked, by the application deadline. For each deadline, applications are reviewed by a revolving jury of professional artists and writers, and the Fellowship determinations made.
You may send up to 20 slides or digital images of your work.
Slides must be mounted in cardboard or plastic mounts.
Digital Images must be submitted as JPEG files on a CD that can be read by both Mac and PC operating systems.
VERMONT STUDIO CENTER
80 Pearl Street
Johnson, Vermont 05656