The Modern Quilt Guild Showcase
International Quilt Festival
October 26 – November 4, 2012*
*Additional exhibition dates listed below
International Quilt Festival will feature quilts in a special exhibit, The Modern Quilt Guild Showcase.
Modern quilting is a new twist on the traditional art of quilting that is rapidly gaining interest from the next wave of quilters.
Modern quilts and quilters:
- Make primarily functional quilts but place a large emphasis on the design and art of quilt making
- Use asymmetry in quilt design
- Rely less on repetition and on the interaction of quilt block motifs
- May contain reinterpreted traditional blocks
- Embrace simplicity and minimalism
- Utilize alternative block structures or lack of visible block structure
- Incorporate increased use of negative space
- Are inspired by modern art and architecture
- Frequently use improvisational piecing
- Contain bold colors, on trend color combinations and graphic prints
- Often use gray and white as neutrals
- Reflect an increased use of solid fabrics
- Focus on finishing quilts on home sewing machines
This exhibit will premiere at International Quilt Market and Festival, October 26–November 4, 2012. We would also like to retain quilts for possible exhibition at International Quilt Festival/Cincinnati in April 2013, and our summer International Quilt Festival/Long Beach in July 2013.
We would like to invite members from any of the Modern Quilt Guilds around the world to be considered for inclusion in the new exhibit.
You may submit a total of five (5) quilts for our consideration. We require that quilts be at least 36” on each side. There is no maximum size limit.
Completed submissions with visuals must be received online by Friday, March 2, 2012. You will be notified no later than Friday, March 30, 2012.
Entries selected from digital images are subject to additional evaluation when the actual quilt arrives in Houston.
How to register
Registration will open on January 6 , 2012. The last day to register is March 2, 2012.
Visit website for complete details: http://www.callforentriesmodernquilts.com/
7660 Woodway, Suite 550
Houston, Texas 77063 U.S.A.
Telephone (1) 713.781.6864
Fax (1) 713.781.8182