A Juried Book Arts Exhibit
sponsored by Boston Book Arts
Wedeman Gallery, Lasell College
April 8-22, 2008
This exhibit will focus attention on a universal subject and one of humanity's most basic needs -- SHELTER -- in all its manifestations: the home, the psychology of personal space, current issues in the housing market such as homelessness, the mortgage crisis, loss of historic fabric. It is expected the theme will be broadly interpreted.
A 30% commission of any sale from the show will benefit a local housing charity such as Habitat for Humanity, selected by the venue representative.
April 2008 Venue
Acceptance in the show includes the artist's commitment to host at the Wedeman Gallery for one 3-4 hour period (or longer if desired) during the 14-day exhibit. (It is understood that artists from beyond the Greater Boston area may be unable to accommodate this request.)
- Entries will be judged from digital images submitted on a CD. (No email submissions). Up to 3 works may be submitted and each may be represented by three images.
- File Format: Jpeg Images, 6" on longest side, with a minimum resolution of 300 dpi. File must include Artist's last name, number and title of work, followed by jpg extension.
Example: Smith1APlayhouse.jpg , Smith1BPlayhouse.jpg.
Label CD with artist's name in permanent marker.
- Work may be in the form of traditional binding, sculpture, suspended or hung, scrolls, editioned work, altered or unique artist books, but should not exceed 36" in height or 30" in width or depth. (Keep shipping/installation constraints in mind when conceiving projects for this exhibit.)
- Entry fee: $25.00 for up to 3 works to help defray exhibit costs such as printing (postcards, brochure, labels etc), shipping to other venues, speakers. Surplus funds, if any, remain with Boston Book Arts for future shows or activities.
- Shipped work should be securely packed in a reusable container with a return label and adequate return postage or a check payable to Boston Book Arts to cover shipping from Newton MA. If shipped Prepaid FedEx, include a return Call Tag. Be sure to label all your packing materials to insure that they return with your work.
Initial Exhibition Calendar
March 3 Entry postmark deadline
March 10-14 Jurying takes place
March 18 Notice of juror's decision mailed
April 5-7 Accepted works due at gallery
April 10 Opening reception
April 22 Exhibit closes
Awards will be given for Best of Show, Viewers' Choice and others to be announced.
- Entry form
- Images on CD-ROM, labeled with artist's name, in protective envelope.
- Nonrefundable check for $25.00 payable to: Boston Book Arts
- Biography up to 500 words with contact information for sale purposes
- Artist's Statement up to 200 words
- SASE for juror notification and a second SASE of a size large enough for return of images. CD's of accepted work will be retained until the show closes.
Mail all materials to:
1844 Commonwealth Avenue
Newton, MA 02466
Accepted work, if hand-delivered, will be received by Margo Lemieux at the Wedeman Gallery, Sunday April 6 and Monday April 7, 2008 between the hours of 10 am and 2 pm.
Shipped work should be received at the College no later than Friday April 4, 2008.
NOTE: Plans call for this show to travel to additional locations on the East Coast. Accepted entries should be free of other commitments for up to 18 months from April 2008, and any sold works must remain on exhibit until
the tour concludes.
We have a commitment from the Fleet Library at Rhode Island School of Design for July 9- August 15, 2008. Notice will be given as other venues are confirmed.
Lasell college does not provide insurance, but all work will be handled with care and stored in a secure space until installation, after which, the Wedeman Gallery will be attended during opening hours and locked thereafter.
Insurance conditions for subsequent venues will be provided as available.
For information, contact:
Veronica Morgan, curator:
phone: 978- 281-7585
(Until Jan 15 & after April 4)
Margo Lemieux, exhibit coordinator, Lasell College: email@example.com
The Entry Form is publicly viewable at: http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dgxwwdp5_56k6cn4phs
Note: The original entry form (as sent to us via email) was a bit distorted so Fiber Art Calls for Entry created a cleaner version.
See original posting at Book Arts Mailing List: http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/byform/mailing-lists/bookarts/2008/01/msg00174.html