Sunday, December 22, 2013

Nearly there....

Hello Friends:

It's hard to believe we are nearly at the end of the 2013. For some reason, the year has just "flown by" for me. Twenty (20) new items were posted today. However, we will try to squeeze in one more update before the new year.

The start of 2014 promises new additions and possible expansion of Fiber Art Calls for Entry. Our goal is to broaden our listings and to FINALLY finish the revamping of our sister site, Mixed Remnants.



Before we depart, I would like to highlight three male contemporary fiber/textile artists:

Denimu aka Ian Berry Link to website

Image courtesy of a file from the Wikimedia Commons. This file is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 2.0 Generic license.

According to the Wikipedia, "Denimu (Ian Berry) is a British born artist currently based in Sweden. He creates artwork solely from denim; re-using jeans, jackets, and other denim clothing to create portraits, urbanscapes and other unique works. In 2013, Denimu was named as one of Art Business News "30 under 30" influential artists in the world."


Do-Ho Suh Link to Gallery


Do-Ho Suh is a Korean sculptor and installation artist. Wikipedia




Bren Ahearn

Growing up as the son of a craft-loving English teacher, I spent many hours pursuing crafts and playing Scrabble. As I grew older, I believed that in order to fit in with my peers, I had to be in the closet about my crafting, eventually stopping my creative activities altogether. My Scrabble playing, however, continued and turned into a life-long love of the study of language intersecting with my current art practice.

In 1996, I signed up for a textiles class, thereby reawakening my dormant artistic side. I am attracted to textiles because textiles are like language both are subtle, yet powerful. Also, both can protect, expose, reveal social position, and show affiliation. I later learned that the words textile and text are derived from the same root, and several of my earlier pieces are focused on this text-textile connection.

My focus has since expanded beyond this literal connection to the multi-layered texts or readings of the cloth. Recent themes that have emerged are the socialization of American men to be violent and conflicting views on sexuality/masculinity. My hope is that upon reading my work, viewers will engage in a dialogue about the confining nature of behavioral norms.


Sampler #9 (chair for scale): cotton; 88"H X 60"W; 2011; Photo: Kiny McCarrick