2009 Quilting Arts Magazine Calendar Contest
Visit the website for complete details: calendar contest
The theme for our Quilting Arts Magazine® 2009 Calendar will be "Celebrating Home." Show us in stitch, fabric, and embellishment how you celebrate home. You can interpret the theme many ways: as a celebration of the concept of home or what makes a house a home, celebrations at home, honoring the architecture of a residence, moving into the home or community of your dreams, or whatever the theme means to you. The artists who create the 13 winning submissions (one for the cover and 12 for the months) will each receive a $200 gift certificate to our online store.
How it Works
- Create up to two original, not previously published, 12" x 12" square, embellished art quilts based on the theme of "Celebrating Home." The quilt(s) must be backed and bound (anything from a traditional binding to a zigzagged or satin-stitched edge is fine, but the edges must be closed). The quilt(s) should also include a sleeve for hanging, as the winning quilts will be displayed at various quilt and textile shows with Quilting Arts Magazine.
Please note: Because the winning quilts will be photographed at their actual size and used in the 12" x 12" format, all embellishments on the submissions must remain within the 12" x 12" boundary; unfortunately, submissions that open to a larger format or have embellishments extending beyond the border cannot be accepted.
- Although we welcome all quilting styles, each quilt should be of original design and have some form of embellishment, include mixed media, or have some surface-design technique. Examples include—but are not limited to—beadwork, silk screening, fabric painting, thread painting, and hand embroidery. Also, though we encourage you to follow your muse, please be aware that quilts that are overall very dark or very shiny do not photograph well.
- Your entry must be free of any text or images that are protected by copyright unless you have the expressed written permission from the person or institution that holds the copyright and you provide that written permission with your submission.
- Submit three 8" x 10" photos of each submission, one of the full quilt and two detail shots. To give your submission the best chance of being accurately evaluated, please make sure the photographs are well-lit, clear, and are printed on photo-quality paper (not copy paper). Please label each photo with your first and last names, address, phone number, and email address.
Along with your photos, please include a brief narrative explaining your interpretation of our theme, "Celebrating Home," as well as the methods and materials used in your quilt(s).
- Deadline for entry: Friday, March 7, 2008. Please note that this is a receive-by date. Your photos and descriptions must be in our office no later than March 7th.
- Include a $10 entry fee with your submission. This $10 fee covers your entire submission, whether you enter one or two quilts. Checks should be made out to Quilting Arts Magazine. Send your photos, narrative, and entry fee to:
Quilting Arts Magazine
ATTN: 2009 Calendar Contest
P.O. Box 685
Stow, MA 01775