Monday, September 18, 2006
This is not a postmark deadline. All applications must be received at MCBA by 4:30 pm.
Minnesota Center for Book Arts (MCBA) and the Jerome Foundation are pleased to announce book arts mentorships for emerging artists whose primary form of creative expression is not book arts.
The 12-month program provides financial assistance, mentorship with established book artists, book arts instruction, and recognition through an exhibition. Emerging visual artists, composers, writers, film or video makers, and choreographers are invited to apply for this mentorship and explore their work through a highly malleable and versatile art form.
Selected emerging artists will receive:
• $1,000 for the purchase of materials and to supplement living or travel costs. (Awards are subject to Minnesota State and Federal income tax guidelines.)
• Three months of basic book arts training at MCBA.
• The opportunity to participate in three classes offered by MCBA through its regular class schedule (artist pays only a material fee).
• The ability to meet regularly with a mentor and attend master classes that provide contextual and historical foundations for book arts.
• One year's membership to MCBA.
• Recognition through an exhibition held in MCBA's main gallery.
Fellowships will be awarded to 6 emerging artists in the following arts disciplines:
• Literary arts (fiction, poetry, creative nonfiction and spoken word)
• Visual Arts (drawing, mixed media, multi-media, painting, photography, printmaking, and sculpture)
• Music* (composers only)
• Film and video* (film and video makers only)
• Theater* (playwrights only)
• Dance* (choreographers only)
*Musicians, actors, directors, dancers, screenwriters, and other such categories are not eligible. Only the originating artist is eligible for Jerome support.
For more information and complete application guidelines, visit www.mnbookarts.org.